Saturday, October 24, 2009

SMART TALK.



I absolutely looooooooove hearing the come-up stories of big time business gurus, and comparing how they got it, to how I'm getting it. There are so many great points that Russel made in this interview, such as "having courage...finding a passion..and sharing that passion." Icing on the cake tho, he talks about how great entrepreneurs will examine all the ideas already out there in the world and analyze what hasn't been done yet - then they focus on that! "People want you to do the traditional and conventional" he says...I've always agreed with not giving people what they expect but what they don't expect! Even while I worked on Fabric Development with Ralph Lauren a few yrs ago, there was an up roar from stores that we had no prints in the collection...and Ralph explained to me "never give them exactly what they ask for, because then they expect it and there's no element of surprise...and inevitably you end up looking like everyone else on the floor.. give them what they least expect when they least expect it!"...and I'll never forget conversations such as those.

When I study the market trends, I sware I get the fuzziest warmest feeling knowing instead of mixin in with the clones, I create pieces for clients that no one else in the whole wide world has, making it ORIGINAL and PRICELESS!

And yet again...I'm reminded of why I do what I do.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment